Skandalaris Center

The background image for the website. It is a multi colored mosaic.

Everett Hall: Outstanding Consultant of the Quarter

Sydney Everett (Staff)
September 2, 2020
Share:

Skandalaris Center Translational Fellow Everett Hall was recently named Outstanding Consultant of the Quarter by The BALSA Group, a nonprofit organization that provides consulting services for a variety of clients. Everett recently shared his experience in the following Q&A from the BALSA newsletter. 

Everett is originally from St. Louis. He did his undergraduate degree at Westminster College in Fulton MO and his Ph.D. in Anatomy and Cell Biology at University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, KS. Currently, Everett is part of the TL1 Translational Sciences Postdoctoral Program with an Entrepreneurship focus, under the Clinical Research Training Center at WashU. His hobbies include hiking, amateur nature photography, and PC building. 

In his own words:

What motivated you to join BALSA? 
Over the course of my doctoral training, I realized that my interest in the field not only stemmed from a fascination in the research, but also a desire to see scientific discoveries have a tangible impact on human health. Given the TL1 program’s focus on entrepreneurship and commercialization, the hands-on consulting experience that BALSA provides was very relevant to my training.

What have you learned so far by working on BALSA projects? 
Working with BALSA has given me insight into how the consulting world actually works, which was a black box up until this point in my training. The projects have also provided great opportunities to learn a new style of report writing and interviewing skills. 

What did you hope to accomplish by working with BALSA? Were these goals fulfilled? 
In addition to building skills, one of my main goals of working with BALSA was to further integrate myself into the network of life science companies in the St. Louis area. Though the identities of our clients are confidential, my time with BALSA so far has definitely helped me build connections. Furthermore, the interviewing skills I mentioned previously have made me more confident in approaching networking opportunities.

What do you envision your career to be in 3-5 years and how do you think your BALSA experience will help you with your goal?
After I complete the TL1 program, I intend to transition into a scientist, project management, or process management role in the biotech industry. The skills I have learned along with the professional development and networking opportunities provided through BALSA will no doubt contribute to the process of identifying and attaining my next position.