Skandalaris Center

The background image for the website. It is a multi colored mosaic.

StEP Business Spotlight: Wash U Wash

Sydney Everett (Staff)
September 15, 2020
Share:

The Student Entrepreneurial Program (StEP) is a unique opportunity for students to own a business on campus that serves the WashU community. Any WashU undergraduate student can buy into an existing business or start a new one. This month we are highlighting some of the student-run businesses on campus – today is all about Wash U Wash!

Wash U Wash is a student-owned, student-operated company that has provided wash and gold laundry and dry-cleaning service to the Washington University in St. Louis community for over 20 years. Wash U Wash is currently co-owned by six WashU seniors: Ashley Lessen (BS and BSBA ’21); Luke Lamb (BSBA ’21); Matthew Loebel (BSBA ’21); Jennifer Lu (BS ’21); Steven Schalu (BS ’21); and Jiya Singe (BSBA ’21). Ashley Lessen of Wash U Wash answered a few questions about the impact of owning a StEP business.

Why did you decide to buy a StEP business?

I chose to buy a stEP business because it is a unique opportunity for me to own a business on campus while also serving the WashU community. It is also an invaluable learning experience- you can supplement the valuable business and entrepreneurial skills you learn in the classroom while gaining real-world experience as you manage and lead your own businesses. 

What are the benefits of working with multiple owners?

Working with multiple owners has allowed me to become a better team player, which is an important trait to have when pursuing a career in finance. It has also allowed me to listen to diverse perspectives and grow as an individual. Plus sharing the workload is a plus!

How do you balance being a student and owning your own business?

Developing a routine is something that has helped me in all aspects of my life including balancing being a student and business owner. I make sure to plan enough time to study or play tennis around the times I have to work. 

What has been your favorite part about being a StEP business owner?

Aside from being able to say you run a business at 20 years old, my favorite part of being a stEP business owner is being able to interact with the WashU community. Wash U Wash is more than just a laundry service, we take pride in getting to know our customers personally.

What advice do you have for aspiring entrepreneurs?

Being a stEP business owner is a great way for aspiring entrepreneurs to gain real-world experience!

What other groups and activities are you involved in at WashU?

President of Women in Finance, part of WashU Women's tennis team, and Moneythink

Wash U Wash website: washuwash.com

Wash U Wash social media: Instagram @washuwash