Skandalaris Center

The background image for the website. It is a multi colored mosaic.

SUMMERSALT CEO Lori Coulter Joins Skandalaris Center National Council

Sydney Everett (Staff)
June 23, 2021
Share:

The Skandalaris Center is excited to welcome Summersalt co-founder and CEO and Olin Business School alumna Lori Coulter to the accomplished group of national entrepreneurs who comprise the Skandalaris Center National Council.

On joining the Skandalaris Center National Council Lori shared, “I am thrilled to give back to my alma mater and the community that supported me as a founder. I'm looking forward to continuing the mission of Skandalaris and elevating the entrepreneurial ecosystem of the broader Washington University community.”

The Skandalaris National Council plays an important role within the WashU startup ecosystem; according to II Luscri, Managing Director and Assistant Vice Provost for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, “our National Council ensures our efforts to support our community of innovators and entrepreneurs stay on the cutting edge. Lori brings a new perspective and industry experience to the National Council making our future events brighter.”

Lori Coulter is the Co-founder and CEO of Summersalt, a generation-defining lifestyle brand known for its data-backed fit and designer quality products without the designer price tag.  Lori and her Co-founder, Reshma Chattaram Chamberlin, launched Summersalt to change the conversation around swimwear and address a true market gap. Summersalt’s product is developed with 1.5 million measurements taken from 10,000 women’s body scans.

Since its launch, Summersalt has expanded to include adventure-friendly essentials that help make every aspect of a woman's wardrobe more joyful and comfortable—from sleepwear to intimates to activewear. Named one of the Top 100 Upstarts in the world by CNBC and The Lead’s Breakout Company of the Year, the brand has seen exceptional growth and consumer adoption, garnering praise from leading outlets including Vogue, Elle, CNN, and Forbes. Lori is passionate about empowering women entrepreneurs and students and champions inclusive economic development and entrepreneurship as a member of Greater St. Louis, Inc.’s Policy Committee.

Read the following Q&A to learn more about Lori and her entrepreneurship journey. 

Please share a little bit about your professional journey – how did you get to where you are now?

Prior to launching Summersalt in 2017, I spent 10+ years in design and manufacturing, and successfully founded one of the first mass-customization retail startups to incorporate digital body scanning and made-to-order manufacturing.

What is your favorite thing about entrepreneurship and innovation?

I love the journey and how each day is never the same. The challenges are constant, and I love to learn and grow along with my team through each phase of the business. I can't imagine doing anything else!

What advice would you give to someone considering creating a startup or entering a career in entrepreneurship?

Paint the biggest picture of your business opportunity. Trust in your ability to execute. Hard work and hustle go a long way.

What are some of your personal interests and hobbies outside of work?

I love spending time with my husband and two sons. I am an avid traveler and enjoy gardening in my spare time.

For more information about the Skandalaris Center National Council and to see other current members visit: https://skandalaris.wustl.edu/about-washu-startups/national-council/