- Register to Participate
This is an informal submission of your project title and description. Please note that your project MUST be non-confidential; it will be shared with external judges who will not sign an NDA.
- Attend Orientation
- Complete Executive Summary 1st Draft
- Submit Executive Summary 1st Draft [Download Template] plus field-specific questionnaire (received at Orientation)
- Executive Summary Review: Applicants will meet with the LEAP Advisory Team. This includes the heads of the Skandalaris Center, the Center for Drug Discovery, the Office of Technology Management, and each department’s supporting members, such as New Venture Analysts, the head of the high throughput screening core, and tech transfer manager and associates. This is an informal 1-hour meeting where theLEAP Advisory Team hears about the project and offers advice about how to best to appeal to the judges in the final presentation. Participants will sign up for a meeting time after Orientation.
- Complete Pitch Deck
- Submit Pitch Deck 1st Draft
- Pitch Deck Review: Applicants present their PowerPoint presentation (pitch deck) to the LEAP Advisory Team in a more formal setting. The presentation should last about 15 minutes. Following the presentation, the LEAP Advisory Team will provide feedback and simulate questions that the judges might ask in the final presentation. This Q&A will last about 45 minutes. Participants will sign up for a meeting time after Orientation.
- Submit Final Executive Summary
Generally due one (1) week before the final presentation, the Final Executive Summary must match information presented in the pitch deck. This final document goes to the judges for review.
- Present to Judges
Present to industry relevant judges who advise on funding. Similar to the Pitch Deck Review, prepare for a 15-minute presentation and 45 minutes of Q&A.
Judges score projects based on their belief that a small amount of capital will significantly advance a product closer to market. In 2016-2017, LEAP judges helped identify promising projects to whom Washington University deployed a total of $650,000 across three cycles.
Additional Resources & Funding Available to Eligible Applicants
Washington University is pleased to offer two additional LEAP support opportunities in collaboration with Sun Pharma Advanced Research Company Limited (SPARC) and GSK’s Discovery Partnerships with Academia program.
Submissions must propose the development of a technology which has an invention disclosure on file with the Office of Technology Management (OTM) BEFORE the finals.
Questions about filing an invention disclosure with OTM? Contact email@example.com.
Questions about LEAP? Contact LEAP@wustl.edu