Skandalaris Center

The background image for the website. It is a multi colored mosaic.

Meet the SVC Finalist: The Makeup Sensitivity Patch

Skandalaris Center
April 16, 2020
Share:

Nine WashU student-lead ventures are finalists set to compete for $22,500 in awards in the 2020 Skandalaris Venture Competition (SVC) later this month. This week, we are publishing Q&A articles to feature each venture team. Today’s featured team is The Makeup Sensitivity Patch.

About The Makeup Sensitivity Patch

The Makeup Sensitivity Patch creates and sells an over the counter, consumer administered patch kit that will allow the purchaser to test their sensitivity to their own cosmetic products at a low cost and without physician oversight.

Industry: Allergy Diagnostics

Number of Employees: None other than myself

Total Funding: $0

What problem are you solving?

There is a lack of readily available means to test cosmetic product skin sensitivity. 

About the Founding Team:

Dani Wilder is completing her junior year at Washington University in St. Louis. She is pursuing a major in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, a minor in Psychology, and a second minor in Global Health, all while maintaining a status as a Dean’s List member. She holds multiple leadership positions across campus, such as being the president of Chimes Junior Honorary and the academic chair of her pre-health professional Fraternity, Alpha Iota Gamma. Whether in academics, community service, or professional life, she has been praised as an energetic leader, loyal team player, enthusiastic learner, and an individual eager to assume ever greater responsibilities. 

What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned since starting your venture?

The best lesson I have learned is to always seek help and advice from others. There are so many people out there with brilliant minds and experience that can help guide your growth. Having an advisor or trusted people to turn to is essential for overcoming setbacks and evolving to greater heights.

What do you love about being an entrepreneur?

I love being an entrepreneur because of the freedom it gives me. It allows me the freedom to create my own opportunities and destiny. I am able to think creatively with no boundaries, and I get to see that creativity turn into innovation that leads to a real product or business. 

What words of advice do you have for those interested in starting a business?

My best advice is to keep it simple. Try to start small, but think large, and focus on what you excel at and partner with those who can bring the rest.