Skandalaris Center

The background image for the website. It is a multi colored mosaic.

Meet the Global Impact Award (GIA) Finalist: Gateway Quantum Electronics

Rendi Welker
April 17, 2024
Share:

GQE automates and streamlines the operation of quantum amplifiers for quantum computing and sensing applications. Their goal is to make operating a quantum amplifier as simple as a traditional amplifier, saving experts time and effort and making quantum amplification accessible to non-experts and scalable for industrial use.

WashU alumni, Jordan Russell (PhD ’19) and Kater Murch, are the founders of Gateway Quantum Electronics. Jordan and Kater shared more about their story, and what they love about entrepreneurship.

Website: https://www.gatewayquantumelectronics.com/

Tell us your startup story – What is the problem you’re solving?

Quantum computers and sensors are emerging technologies that will soon change the world in profound ways, but there’s an enormous amount of work that needs to be done to make them practical and scalable. A key component of these technologies is quantum amplifiers, which are used to make the incredibly tiny signals produced by quantum devices large enough that we can measure them. Despite their crucial nature, there are very few commercial sources of quantum amplifiers, and they’re very difficult to use.

What is your solution to that problem?

Building on quantum amplifier expertise in the Physics department here at Wash U, we founded GQE with the goal of developing the best commercial quantum amplifiers and a device that automates, and therefore radically simplifies their operation.

What do you love about entrepreneurship?

I love being the captain of my own ship, so to speak, for better or worse. I love the wide variety of tasks I get to engage in on any given day as an entrepreneur. Most of all, as a scientist entrepreneur, I love the idea of taking an incredible invention or discovery that might otherwise never leave the laboratory and finding a way to make it useful to society. That’s the best way I know to make the future an exciting place.

What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned as an entrepreneur?

Entrepreneurship, more than any other professional activity I’ve engaged in, is about relationships. Whether it’s a potential customer, employee, investor, or fellow entrepreneur, rarely a day goes by now that I don’t meet someone new. Meeting people, and cultivating meaningful relationships, has led to some of our biggest wins.

What advice would you give to someone considering creating a startup or entering an entrepreneurship competition?

Becoming an entrepreneur is an act of sheer determination and perseverance, but you also have to be flexible enough to change your idea or approach sometimes. Also, it’s never too early to start talking to potential users or customers. Finally, you can never have too many mentors.

What activities, student groups, professors, or classes had the biggest impact on you during your time at WashU?

Doug Villhard in the Olin Business School, the New Ventures Team in the Office of Technology Management, and the Skandalaris Center have been absolutely crucial to my journey as an entrepreneur. Of course, the Department of Physics and all the wonderful people who work there have impacted me in more ways than I could ever name.

Jordan Russell and Kater Murch

The winner of the Spring 2024 GIA will be announced at The Washington University Innovation and Entrepreneurship Awards on April 18. All are welcome to attend the awards ceremony to see which team(s) will win non-dilutive funding for their venture.