Skandalaris Center

The background image for the website. It is a multi colored mosaic.

Meet the Global Impact Award (GIA) Finalist: uFab

Rendi Welker
April 17, 2024
Share:

uFab aims to revolutionize circuit board manufacturing. Using patent-pending printed circuit board manufacturing technology, users of uFab’s PCB printing machine can have their boards in their hands in hours rather than the conventional days to weeks.

Learn more about uFab’s founder, Tyler Richards (EN ’22), including what he loves about entrepreneurship and how COVID-related manufacturing issues were the catalyst to start his venture.

Website: https://u-fab.co/

Tell us your startup story – What is the problem you’re solving?

I have been working as a freelance printed circuit board (PCB) designer and consultant since 2015, my sophomore year of high school, as a means to pursue interesting hardware projects and make money while doing so. I had worked in a plethora of industries, from BMX bike racing to plant growth chambers to music synthesizers. When the COVID-19 pandemic struck, it strangled my freelancing and consulting business. Due to the virus, circuit board factories had been shut down and shipping stalled, effectively making it impossible for me to work for my clients. During the downtime, I began to think about all of the other issues with the circuit board supply chain – the long weeks that hampered my development, the high prices I paid for my custom designs, the environmental effects of both the manufacture and shipping of circuit boards had, and a host of other issues. These were problems I knew other engineers had. I had heard complaints up and down the supply chain, from my professors to researchers to fellow enthusiasts. In 2022, I founded uFab to solve these problems and pursue my idea for a new way of quickly and efficiently printing circuit boards.

What is your solution to that problem?

The solution I created was “the PCBee,” a device that prints circuit boards in-house in four hours or less. Rather than relying on external factories to make and ship my circuit boards, I (and my customers) can make circuit boards without a large carbon footprint or toxic chemicals. The machine utilizes lasers to manufacture the boards quickly and efficiently, allowing for fast prototyping and design iteration. uFab’s customers can rapidly manufacture circuit boards without being limited by long lead times and budget constraints.

What do you love about entrepreneurship?

I love everything about it, it’s difficult to pin down any one thing. One aspect that I’ve found extremely enjoyable is meeting so many new people, especially other entrepreneurs. Their innovative spirit and resilience in the face of challenges are incredibly motivating. Additionally, the diversity of their ventures provides a kaleidoscope of insights and experiences. Every day brings something different and exciting!

What activities, student groups, professors, or classes had the biggest impact on you during your time at WashU?

I’d say Professor Ed Richter’s ESE Digital Systems Lab class was very impactful on me. It was fun, and difficult, and had a great group of students. We learned so much as a class and had a great time in the process. I look back on that semester with a lot of fondness. I also have to mention that I was in the Bear Nation Varsity Band. I absolutely loved playing trumpet with everyone there and met some amazing people who I’m still friends with to this day.

What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned as an entrepreneur?

Making multiple plans and being adaptable is something that I have found to be extremely important. Plans rarely work out the way you expect, and navigating problems and roadblocks efficiently is an art and a skill.

What advice would you give someone considering creating a startup or entering an entrepreneurship competition?

I would say having a concrete plan for monetization is imperative and often overlooked, especially by engineers (like myself). Many people assume a product or service will sell itself, but most of the time it won’t.

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

If you want to see some interesting circuit boards we’ve printed or get updates on what uFab is up to, feel free to follow us on Instagram @ufab_stl!

The winner of the Spring 2024 GIA will be announced at The Washington University Innovation and Entrepreneurship Awards on April 18. All are welcome to attend the awards ceremony to see which team(s) will win non-dilutive funding for their venture.